Sign Petition To End Victoria’s Gas Ban
The Victorian Government has set-up the state for economic disaster by pretending to support regional growth and employment with one hand, but by killing the onshore natural gas exploration industry with the other.
How did this happen?
– The Government has confused coal-seam gas; an industry with no potential in Victoria, with conventional natural gas exploration. Instead of simply shutting down the coal-seam gas industry, it has knowingly banned all gas exploration – exploration that has taken place without incident since 1924, and which is critical to the state’s economic well-being, jobs and the environment.
– The Government has ignored the wealth of peer-reviewed scientific studies that have been carried out across Australia and around the world. These studies have unanimously confirmed the gas industry is safe and effective, and is one of the most rigorously regulated industries in the world.
What will the Government’s action mean for Victorians?
– The onshore exploration ban stops Victoria from using its massive onshore natural gas resources to ensure gas continues to be available at prices to support both the Victorian people and the state’s manufacturing industries – the backbone of the state’s economy.
– By banning production of onshore gas, the state will instead be dependent upon decreasing supplies of increasingly expensive offshore or interstate gas. Victorian people and industry are already feeling the pain of increasing gas and electricity prices, and it’s only going to get worse. Household power bills are projected to rise on average by 30% in 2017. Industry closures have already begun – Australia’s largest domestic wool producer in Laverton is about to close its doors because it is unable to obtain natural gas in Victoria!
– Problems with increasing electricity prices and possible black-outs will become the norm. The imminent closure of the Hazelwood power station in Victoria’s Latrobe Valley will mean Victoria becomes a net importer of electricity – No longer self-sufficient! A properly thought-out plan must be implemented if the lights are to stay on and hospitals are kept running. But instead, the Labor Party has closed down the one industry that is a perfect complement to a clean future based upon increasing its use of renewables.
– One only needs to look at the disaster that has already unfolded in South Australia to see that a transition to a cleaner energy future doesn’t simply mean replacing existing power stations with wind turbines and solar panels. Something is needed to fill the gap when the sun isn’t shining and no wind is blowing, or if there’s too much wind blowing!
Natural gas; used in quick-start and highly efficient turbines, is the perfect complement to renewables and is vital to support renewables. Coal fired power stations cannot meet ‘on again, off again’ operating requirements. The Victorian Government’s onshore gas ban will mean the transition to cleaner energy is expensive and unreliable.
– The Hon. Wade Noonan has stated he is concerned about industry closures and is looking to create new industry – but…how is he going to do this? Victoria’s position as Australia’s leading manufacturing state was founded on the state’s abundance of cheap gas and electricity. With this advantage cast aside by Government, industry will continue to struggle and; as we are already witnessing, the manufacturing industry will slowly but surely shutdown. As a result, prospects for attracting new industry in Victoria have become far-fetched.
– The only way to ensure new industry and subsequently new jobs, is by ENSURING CHEAP GAS IS AVAILABLE for all Victorians.
– Farmers and regional Victorians have been grossly misinformed by anti-fossil fuel groups. As a result they have lost their right to decide what happens on their land, and have also lost their right to earn drought-proof income.
– Victorians will miss out on huge royalty income streams! This income could be spent on your SCHOOLS, HOSPITALS, THE POLICE FORCE, AND ON IMPROVING YOUR COMMUNITIES! DON’T LET YOUR GOVERNMENT DICTATE HOW VICTORIANS GET TO USE THEIR ENERGY. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOUR LIGHTS BLACK OUT TOO!