The Benefits of Natural Gas
- Natural gas is the most abundant, readily available hydrocarbon
- Gas burns cleaner than coal (<½ CO2 emissions)
- Gas is the best “transition fuel” to bridge the gap between coal dependence and the most logical switch to renewables.
- It was first discovered in Australia in a water bore near Roma in 1900
- The first major east coast gas developments commenced in the mid 60’s in the Cooper and Gippsland Basins
- Victoria has the largest reticulated gas network with over 1.1 million connections
- The east coast gas market is the largest stationary energy provider and is well connected but relies on existing, diminishing sources
- The commencement of LNG exports is going to stretch the supply capacity. There are significant resources existing onshore in eastern Australia that can solve this issue.